Introducing myself

Hello! My name is Elena. Although I feel I have always been a witch, I have never been in a coven or practiced the craft in a traditional way so I guess I am new? I am interested in learning how to write my own grimoire but I always seem to get lost in how to start it. I have a few books on witchcraft by Raymond Buckland and others but I don’t think I care to be in a traditional coven like he has described, but I do have a lot to learn. I do consider myself to be a green witch as I have always been connected to nature ( wildlife and herbalism), and the spirits of the universe since I was a little girl which is following in the footsteps of my grandmother whom I was named after and the eldest of her grandchildren. I believe in be and let be except when it comes to the protection of Gaia and her children.
: ) I do hope to meet like minded witches which even though I feel like I’m alone, I’m sure that I am not.
Thank you for reading and have yourself a very wonderful day.

8 Likes

Hi Elena, one thing I learned in the beginning, was if you don’t want to follow a Trad, you just pick and choose what you like and do it. I am now 71 and been a Witch for a couple of decades, but still I use and chose what I want and need. I love the Goddess Gaia and follow her a lot, I love Nature and the elements and have learned Reiki and hoodoo and brujeria, and loved it all. I work with the Goddesses and learn from them as well. So just keep your mind and heart open to what you want, need and believe and you will be just fine!

5 Likes

Hi, Elena!
Let me affirm what @thymeless1 said - you are most certainly not alone. I had to learn to work all of my magick internally, with only the help of a few sacred tools hidden in plain sight, as it were. The recent (to me) growing acceptance of our Craft, in whatever way is most meaningful, has been a genuine relief and an opportunity to expand my awareness and my community.

I have only recently started my grimoire, so I can share those steps, and please take whatever works for you! I found a book that spoke to me, and spent time letting it be in my space. When something makes itself known to me in a meaningful way, I draw and write about it. My first entry was about lavender, because I was working with the oil at the time with my acupuncturist. I did a little research about its uses, drew a picture, and made notes. I have a few pictures of animal friends who show up and their meanings in animal medicine. I stored my Samhain ritual notes in it, but haven’t gotten those transcribed yet. (yeah - it’s April.) I don’t know if this is the “right” way to keep a grimoire, but it’s the way that works for me, adding bits and pieces of the world and the work as they’re meaningful.

Enjoy the journey!
Crow

4 Likes

What a lovely, affirming journey! :heart:

2 Likes

Hello and thank you! I too practice Reiki and have been a reiki master for well over 20 years. I believe in energy work but I guess until just now thought witchcraft was different but it really isn’t! Just as I work with my herbs or crystals, they all carry and transfer their own life force of energy which changes depending on how I combine them. I don’t know why I have not been making that connection. Thanks for that reminder!
As far as Gaia, I believe my grandmother was Gaia in human form. She always had a way with every single living creature she encountered and could grow anything even from a dead stick! My love for nature and plant medicine came from her in fact.

3 Likes

Happy to hear back from you Elena, yes I agree with you, it took me a minute to realize Everything has energy and is connected, so we can use it all, Nature and healing, and about everything else in our practices, I love helping others and using what I know and Learning from others as well, we are never too old to learn and help others, even Distance Reiki, it is a good choice of mine as my family and friends all live miles from me. I really hope we stay in touch and any time you want to talk send me a message. Be Blessed and talk to you again soon.

3 Likes

Hi Elena,
I have never been in a coven either and am truly happy to practice on my own.
I used to go to a coven in the area for ‘public ceremonies’, but even that there was too much drama going on!
I have a thing about people, and I don’t like them in my space or business, so I’m very happy to be a solitary witch.
If I had to give myself a title, it would be “A solitary Eclectic Witch”,
I love the home and hearth, so I take a bit out of Kitchen witchery and love doing my rituals with the moon phases, so maybe a bit of Lunar witchery, but all in all, I just take what I need from where I need it, and am happy.
I hope you have a wonderful, magickal day

4 Likes

:heartpulse:

I really feel this Lorraine. Plants, trees, birds, animals, land and elements are coven enough for me. But lovely to have this virtual little circle to dip in and out of, connecting in a sustainable way and learning from one another.

With thanks and blessings,

Ix

3 Likes

Hi Crowmother! I have never been shy about who I am. I guess because I have always been “different” since I was a little girl and could see and speak with those that had passed. My husband, children and my true friends had to accept me as I am. No exceptions. ( I am happy they chose to accept me though, lol). That said, life has gotten in the way more often that I liked but the universe always brings me back and reminds me of who am and who I’m meant to be so here I am! : ) Since I pretty much practice alone since my mother has passed, I never really learned about the traditions of a coven such as initiation and official holiday ceremonies, spells, etc. so I now I find myself second guessing on whether or not I’m going about it the right way. l always just ‘ felt’ around me and listened to the wind, lol if that makes any sense. I love the idea of writing about herbs such as lavender (my favorite) like you suggested and I think that will help me get started. That’s such a great idea so thank you for that! I look forward to our future conversations!

Elena

4 Likes

Hi Lorraine! Thanks for reaching out. I’m like you in many ways. I’m very selective on who I allow into my life but I do like to teach and also learn because even as I’m the teacher, I’m also always the student. I have come across many closed minded, judgemental grouches as I’m sure most of us have. What I have often found is that they needed me to help them see beyond what was directly in front of them. They take their blinders off! Whenever this happens I feel very honored that I was the chosen one in that moment. I never believed in coincidence. I thought about trying to join a local coven but I have a bit leery. I don’t feel I need to be naked as part of an initiative for instance or ‘worshiping’ a human god or goddess in that coven. Even though I know is a representation. For me, I feel like my coven is out in nature, the forests or the ocean. I do believe that there’s power in numbers which is really what I want. I have been in energy circles and the healing vibrations are simply amazing! I’m happy to be connected to other witches especially in this volatile world.
Blessed be.

3 Likes