I'm a Tarot Nerd. Ask Me Anything

I always have some spells going in the house, but I’ve always been captivated by the tarot. At first, it was mostly just because I wanted to learn more about what was going on in my world. And, sometimes, it still is.

But, I also have a lot of respect and admiration for it and the symbology woven into it, which deepened with time and with an incredible tarot course I took a number of years ago.

I find myself getting really nerdy about it, so I wanted to open the floor to answer any questions anyone here has about the tarot. Beginners, don’t be shy!

5 Likes

This might be a stupid question, but what does a twin flame really mean, honestly I just believe in soul contracts, but I’m willing to learn more.

2 Likes

There are no stupid questions :slight_smile:

I don’t really think about twin flames in the tarot, though there are some tarot cards that might indicate someone could be a twin flame. Everyone has different definitions for these terms. These are mine.

The way I think about twin flames is they are people who come into your life who you have some working out to do with. The connection tends to be intense and like a roller coaster that’s really easy to get hooked on riding. They will show you all the things you need to work on, but because they’re a mirror to you. The relationship doesn’t feel “safe” or peaceful. It feels passionate and over the top.

Soulmates can also be challenging at times, but the energy is more calm, safe, secure, and you feel at peace when you’re around them. Think of your best friend or another healthy, balanced relationship. They will also challenge you, but from a loving, supportive place that makes you want to heal yourself and do the work.

Twin Flame cards:

• Devil
  • The Moon
  • Lovers
  • Perhaps Six of Cups reversed (as in close, but not quite)
  • Knight of Wands or Knight of cups (energy-wise)

Soulmate cards:

• Lovers
  • Kings or Queens (though unless you really love logic, maybe not the King/Queen of Swords)
  • Ace of Cups
  • Six of Cups
  • Ten of Cups
  • Two of Cups
  • Ten of Pentacles
  • Three of Pentacles (building together)
  • Four of Wands

What cards would everyone else use to represent these?

2 Likes

I have been very interested in tarot but have always gravitated to playing cards as a guide. Do you know of any playing card oracle or associated with tarot/playing card books?

Tell me more - do you mean you tend to gravitate towards the standard set of 52 playing cards? (Well, 53 if we also count the Jester/Fool.) I ask because you could use this set if you like, you’d just be missing the bulk of the major arcana.

I love the arcana cards but as far as decks go I’ve always seem to use playing cards. They just seem to speak to me more. I had a book a long time ago in highschool which was reading tarot but using playing cards and I haven’t been able to find another like it. It was so long ago I don’t remember the name of the book or author.

2 Likes

I get that. Here’s a few books on using playing cards with the tarot. I haven’t read these, so I can’t speak to their value, but they seem highly rated. The first one was published in 1996.

For correspondences, here’s how they work:
Joker / Jester = Fool (remove one from deck if there are two)
Aces = Aces
Hearts = Cups (2 of hearts = 2 of cups, etc.)
Clubs = Wands
Diamonds = Pentacles
Spades = Swords

Court Cards
Queen = Queen
King = King
Jack = combination of Page + Knight (it’s not really either, but you’ll find the interpretation will likely lead you in one the page or knight’s meaning)

If you’re looking for meanings, I’m working on building all of them out on the site over the next couple weeks.

3 Likes

Oh my goddess you found it!! The Fortune Tellers book is that book! I googled forever looking for key words to find it and nothing came up that looked familiar.

I love this forum. Thank you so much for posting and opening yourself up as a resource.

I’ll let you know how I do once I get it.

Thank you again and blessed be

The

1 Like

You are so welcome! We’re here to help :slight_smile:

I would like to know of a beginner tarot deck easy to learn and understand.
Maybe something representing nature ? I am very interested in tarot cards
but I am a complete beginner.

Hollly

I use the Forest of Enchantment tarot deck. The artwork is beautiful. The book uses terms a little different than the classic tarot decks, but the meanings are the same, but more nature focused. I love it :evergreen_tree:

I love tarot and oracle cards myself - but thanks for posting about using playing cards since I do tend to keep a 52 card deck with me just as something to pass the time with. Now I can learn to use them as a divination tool too!

Does anyone collect tarot/oracle decks? I think I have about 11 or 12 decks myself…and there are more I want lol

I started to collect Tarot decks years ago but try to stop myself nowadays unless I find a deck that really REALLY speaks to me…for reasons of space.
I eliminated a few over the years and replaced them with others.
There are decks I would never part with, others I could take or leave, others I only use for readings…others which are too beautiful to give away…
Maybe that’s why I’ll never be a very experienced tarot reader (altho’ I must say I am reasonably good) : I use too many decks and keep alternating, thus I never learn one deck very well…

1 Like

@Rebecca I would be very interested as you work out meanings to playing cards relative to the Tarot. I have known many readers over the years that used the simple deck. Some left the Joker as part…others only used 52 cards.

I love my LightSeer deck, i definitely recommend it for beginners