What's your favorite decks to work with?

When I chose my first deck, I scrolled through every single one I could find online and none of them felt right until I saw Orien’s Animal Tarot. It’s done so well for me, its a very encouraging deck. I’ve had it for years.

I’ve been wanting to reach out to more, and aside from buying the classic Rider Waite deck, I’d love to hear which other decks you all might recommend! I need to vibe with both the imagery and the symbolism.

The two I have my eye on are the Comsic Slumber tarot and the White Numen Tarot: A Sacred Animal Tarot Deck.

3 Likes

I have collect a lot of Tarot cards over the years and my first and still favorite is Aleister Crowley’s Thoth Deck. I started using, when I was a teenager and I am 61 years old now. I still have the same deck, but many others. I love the large deck. I do like The Mystic Tarot, Q & A Tarot, Golden Dawn Tarot, Faerie Wicca Tarot, Green Forest Tarot. I have oracle too, but my son seems to have a flare for them. The Illuminati Tarot is great and I got the privilege of the creator to sign the book what come with the deck. I like it so much I got his next creation called the Apocolyptic deck. There are so many great deck out there these days.

2 Likes

A friend gifted me with my first tarot deck. It was an Angel deck. I used it for about 2 years, but didn’t feel a great connection. Mostly cuz I’m not into angels. What I am into is nature and the woods. So I purchased Forest of Enchantment deck. It’s gorgeous and I love it so much more. :star_struck:

3 Likes

I have the usual Rider Waite tarot. Have not really resonated with it.
I’ve heard that one must receive their tarot deck as a gift. None of my friends or relatives are witches, and are unaware of my interests. So that’s not going to happen.

I love the idea of an animal based tarot, Orien’s Animal tarot sounds great.

Seems to me that if animal based tarots work best for you, then sticking to similar earth/nature types would be best.

And now, thanks to your post, I may find the deck which suits me as well.

Blessed be.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that it should be gifted also. But I’ve come to the conclusion that we are the ones putting rules and limitations on ourselves. I believe we should listen to our hearts and if you want to buy a certain deck, then definitely do it! Just cleaned it and make it all yours when you receive it :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I meant “cleanse” lol. Silly phone

2 Likes

I totally agree, @NoctuaAstra. The old saying that one must be gifted a Tarot deck strikes me as a holdover from the tradition of the gatekeepers trying to limit/control who can practice Tarot, or any occult practice. There are so many beautiful decks out there, and which one(s) resonate with you is a really personal choice, a spiritual choice even, that shouldn’t be dictated by someone else.

I’ve been using Kat Black’s Golden Tarot for awhile now, which I love because its images follow the Rider Waite Smith deck closely, but they’re all beautiful medieval images. The RWS Tarot itself is too brightly colored for me to work with. I also LOVE the Pagan Otherworlds deck, which I use reserve for communicating with spirits and ancestors-.

3 Likes

:sunflower:Makes more sense to listen to our hearts. Most magic is about that.

1 Like

I was gifted two packs of tarot recently. A spiritual friend wanted to thank me for something and I mentioned that I wanted to really get to grips with tarot. She brought me a beautiful pack, really, works of art on every card. As she handed them over, she was hesitant, said she was also drawn towards another pack but she didnt think they were very interesting. It was a simple Marsielle pack, well used, images not very easy to read. It was this simple pack that resonated with me. I keep my beautiful gift wrapped up and boxed. Its these very simple cards I use.

2 Likes

I have several decks. Some have been gifted to me and others I bought. I have found whether gifted or bought, it doesn’t matter. What matters is if you resonate with the deck or not.

2 Likes

Samhain is the bestest time of the year. Agreed agreed :100: :grin:

2 Likes

My go to deck is the Dali deck. It was designed by Salvador Dalí and it’s like we were meant to be!!
I’ve always loved his art but when I found out he designed a tarot deck I knew I needed it.
I definitely recommend checking it out, especially if you’re a fan of his work.

3 Likes

I love the Rider-Waite, but the one I’ve been wanting to buy is the Dark Mansion tarot deck. It’s the closest thing you can get to a haunted mansion themed one.

The Thoth one is awesome as well but I have thoughts about how I feel about Crowley. Despite that, the esoteric imagery within it is very cool and fun to explore.

There’s a store not too far away that’s stocked almost entirely with tarot decks. They have yet to be open when I’ve gone by, but if they are eventually, I’ll see if I can find some super unique ones to share in here.

1 Like

I like the new ways anyone can view a tarot deck, the web ,an app, or video. I like The Shadowscapes Tarot Deck but I received a nock-off with no book, so I purchased The Shadowscapes app. I am new so I do a daily draw. I also purchase decks and gift to my children and grandchildren.

2 Likes

Yes, I really like when it comes with a book that coordinates with the theme of the tarot deck you bought. I mean, you Can look up card meanings online, but eh. I do daily draws also for messages that give me inspiration and/or pause. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love collecting decks and have several. My favorite one that I return to over and over is the Housewives deck. It’s kitchy but I love it. I was also given the Supernatural deck for winter solstice and I’ve been having fun with it. For serious readings I use my standard Rider-Waite.

1 Like

I bought all my Tarot decks myself.
Difficult to say which is the one I prefer because I use mainly one or two for readings and others for fun or to admire the artwork.
The Crysalis is one of my top fav (for artwork). Sometimes I compare the card I draw with my fav for readings, which is the Tarot of the Old Path.
Recently I bought the Steampunk, which follows the traditional interpretation, so that’s also easy (as well as very attractive to look at, in my opinion). But it was good to hear for others how you feel about different decks etc

1 Like

I almost exclusively use the Rider Waite deck. In my younger days the Marseille deck was novel. I have used older decks as well but they are more akin to a traditional pack of playing cards with little in the way of illustration to help a seeker visualize the meaning of a reading. Rider Waite provides a transition to all the wonderful decks that exist today. It is nice to see how each reader adopts and creates their own is it not?

1 Like